Help! Should I take June!?
Are you facing the never-ending question of which test to take:
“I’m improving, but I don’t know if I’ll be ready in time for June, or if I should push back to Sept/Oct”
The good news is you don’t have to know quite yet. Often the best strategy for handling this is to simply wait. Continue working as hard as you can, prepping for June, but be prepared to withdraw if necessary. You can withdraw up till midnight of the night before your administration of the LSAT. Sure, you’ll lose the registration fee, which is unfortunate, but in the long-term costs of a legal education, is a drop in the bucket. You gain the security of knowing you can prep as hard as possible, but aren’t committed to taking the test if you aren’t ready, the pressure relief alone might be worth the hit.
I can say personally that I withdrew at 11:50PM the night before my LSAT administration and pushed it back to the next administration, and as difficult as this decision was, it was the best thing I could have done, and my score increased in the time between the two LSAT administrations. The reality is that it’s never acceptable to take an administration before you have absolutely peaked your potential.
On the other hand, if you are positive you won’t reach your potential by June, by all means push it back before the deadline, you’ll be able to save the registration fee, and buy yourself more time to prep. Given that the 2014 LSAT is in Sept and not October, you’ll still be able to get your application in very early. This year in particular (with the earlier administration) the fact is that the difference between which test you take is negligible. The only real benefit to June is the ability to retake in Sept and still be early in the cycle. The only really terrible tragedy in this decision is taking the test before you’ve peaked your potential. So weigh the options wisely and decide based on this: “Will I improve my score between June and Sept, or have I reached my potential, and I will face burnout having to extend my studying till Sept”. The reality is that the risk of taking the test too early usually outweighs the consequences of taking it too late… but remember, you always have up till the night before the June test to figure it out, so relax, and get back to studying!